lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 17:13:24 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 11:45 AM, DM Smith wrote:
>> By stating that I needed to run on Mac OS 9, this also implies that I
>> need to run on OSX prior to Tiger (10.4) which does not have Java 5
>> and according to everything that I read, won't. OSX 10.3 does not
>> seem like an unreasonable target platform for Lucene applications.
>
> for all such arguments, my take is (as a fervent Mac-head myself) that
> we allow folks to innovate using whatever technical details they want
> and let lucene evolve as the state of the art of languages changes.
> there are always older versions of lucene that work quite well enough
> on other versions of java, etc.  those that need to maintain back
> compatibility should step forward to work on that as things evolve.
>
> certainly we are not suggesting that we go crazy using features of a
> newer JDK "just because"... but if there is a performance advantage
> then we have an obligation to pursue it.

I agree. But, there is a difference between the performance of a JDK and
that of a JVM. We need to be certain that the JDK is required for the
performance boost and not just the JVM before we pursue it.

>   for new development like the GData server, Solr, etc, we should be
> loose and allow the creative individuals to do their own thing.  for
> lucene core, we need compelling reasons to jump to a higher JDK
> requirement.

Agreed. But, I have not heard one compelling argument for the JDK 5 for
core. (JVM certainly)

> we will not hold up progress because of the few that don't upgrade
> their macs when steve jobs waves his magic wand.

LOL! Thanks!