lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 13:51:40 GMT
Please don't move to Java 5.

My reasons are simple (and some perhaps stem out of old information or
misinformation):
    MacOS 9 does not run Java 1.5, which is one of my target platforms.
Has Java 5 been ported to all target platforms?
    Java 5 has nice syntax sugar but no real substance other than the
stronger type checking.
        (My opinion based on porting to Java 5 and then back to Java 1.4.2.)
    Not all support tooling (e.g. java2html, checkstyle, findbugs, ...)
supports Java 5 syntax. This reduces my ability to qa code using these
tools.
    Java 5 moves lucene away from the possibility of ever working on J2ME.
    Java 5 moves away from running on an open source java, e.g. gjc.
    The performance benefits of a Java 5 JVM are independent of Java 5
source.
    Going to Java 5 requires all applications using Lucene to upgrade to
Java 5.

Sure Java 5 has been out for a while and Java 6 is around the corner,
but ask yourself why it is not the defacto standard version of Java.