lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 11:19:55 GMT
Would this mean that people checking out Lucene source (especially the
core) could possibly need 2 or more JDKs on their machines in order to
do a build?  I know it is would be automated through the build scripts,
but it seems like _it could_ degenerate into a management nightmare.
What if people require specific JVM minor releases do to JVM bug fixes
or if they require 1.6?

Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : important new facilities. Repeating my earlier question, why should a
> : platform that is 2 years behind for java expect to be at the latest and
> : greatest level for lucene? I'd propose 2.0 (+ branched patches) be the
> : 1.4 release distribution, with 2.1 free to move up to 1.5.
>
> I would ammend that proposal slightly...
>
> 1a) Lucene Core 2.0.* releases garuntee java1.4 compatibility
> 1b) Lucene Contrib modules in 2.0.* releases are free to require any java
>     version they choose.
>
> 2a) Lucene Core 2.1.* release garuntee java1.5 compatibility.
> 2b) Lucene Contrib modules in 2.1.* releases are free to require any java
>     version they choose.
>
> -Hoss

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer