lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Changing Lucene scoring?
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 14:37:37 GMT

Otis wrote:
> Short answer: no.  Damn are those scoring classes hard to follow...

I have looked at these classes several times, including stepping through
them and I still find them confusing.  Perhaps someone (Doug????? pretty
please?) could illuminate us?
  I think the part I always found tricky was how it combines the
precomputed items (idf, norms, etc.) and what the relationship is
between the Scorers, Queries and the Weights and how they all work
together to come up with a single score.  And, of course, there is the
relationship to the Similarity class too...

Perhaps we could flesh out a document that better describes scoring,
something on par with the File Formats document