lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Sat, 27 May 2006 23:06:54 GMT

Andi Vajda wrote on 05/27/2006 12:01 PM:

> On Sat, 27 May 2006, karl wettin wrote:
>
>> How about a binary 1.4-target distribution?
>
> That's a great idea that might solve the problem as long as the
> resulting bytecode is compatible with 1.4 and with gcj.

This would preclude use of the 1.5 class library, which contains many
important new facilities. Repeating my earlier question, why should a
platform that is 2 years behind for java expect to be at the latest and
greatest level for lucene? I'd propose 2.0 (+ branched patches) be the
1.4 release distribution, with 2.1 free to move up to 1.5.

Chuck