lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FieldsReader synchronized access vs. ThreadLocal ?
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 20:16:38 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> It seems that in a highly multi-threaded server this synchronized method
> could lead to significant blocking when the documents are being retrieved?

Perhaps, but I'd prefer to wait for someone to demonstrate this as a
performance bottleneck before adding another ThreadLocal.

Peter Keegan has recently demonstrated pretty good concurrency using
mmap directory on four and eight CPU systems:

http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg05074.html

Peter also wondered if the SegmentReader.document(int) method might be a
bottleneck, and tried patching it to run unsynchronized:

http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg05891.html

Unfortunately that did not improve his performance:

http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg06163.html

Doug