lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Taking a step back
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 17:20:07 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> The only question is whether there are Java-specific optimizations
> which are so advantageous that they outweigh the benefits of
> interchange.

It's not just optimizations.  If we, e.g., wrote, for each field, the
name of the codec class that it uses, then we could provide arbitrary
extensibility.  Anything that implemented the field codec API could be
used, permitting alternate posting compression algorithms, etc.  But
that would not be friendly to other implementations, which may not be
able to easily instantiate classses from class names, nor dynamically
download codec implementations from a public repository, etc.  The fact
that java bytecode is portable makes this more attractive.

Doug