lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Taking a step back
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 18:13:33 GMT
Lucene version numbers are about compatibility.

Minor versions should always have complete API back-compatiblity.
That's to say, any code developed against X.0 should continue to run
without alteration against all X.N releases.  A major release may
introduce incompatible API changes.  The transition strategy is to
introduce new APIs in release X.N, deprecating old APIs, then remove all
deprecated APIs in release X+1.0.

File formats are back-compatible between major versions.  Version X.N
should be able to read indexes generated by any version after and
including version X-1.0, but may-or-may-not be able to read indexes
generated by version X-2.N.

Note that older releases are never guaranteed to be able to read indexes
generated by newer releases.  When this is attempted, a predictable
error should be generated.

Does that sound reasonable?

Doug