lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: storing term text internally as byte array and bytecount as prefix, etc.
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 16:16:08 GMT
Chuck Williams wrote:
> For lazy fields, there would be a substantial benefit to having the
> count on a String be an encoded byte count rather than a Java char
> count, but this has the same problem.  If there is a way to beat this
> problem, then I'd start arguing for a byte count.

I think the way to beat it is to keep things as bytes as long as
possible.  For example, each term in a Query needs to be converted from
String to byte[], but after that all search computation could happen
comparing byte arrays.  (Note that lexicographic comparisons of UTF-8
encoded bytes give the same results as lexicographic comparisions of
Unicode character strings.)  And, when indexing, each Token would need
to be converted from String to byte[] just once.

The Java API can easily be made back-compatible.  The harder part would
be making the file format back-compatible.

Doug