lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: storing term text internally as byte array and bytecount as prefix, etc.
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 02:33:07 GMT
Could someone summarize succinctly why it is considered a major issue
that Lucene uses the Java modified UTF-8 encoding within its index
rather than the standard UTF-8 encoding.  Is the only concern
compatibility with index formats in other Lucene variants?  The API to
the values is a String, which uses Java's char representation, so I'm
confused why the encoding in the index is so important.

One possible benefit of a standard UTF-8 index encoding would be
streaming content into and out of the index with no copying or
conversions.  This relates to the lazy field loading mechanism.

Thanks for any clarification,

Chuck