lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: SegmentReader changes?
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 23:39:39 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> BUT, back to the subclassing comments... Why have the runtime replaceable
> support then in the SegmentReader factory - there is nothing useful a
> subclass can do at this time, and without API changes, it will never be able
> to.

That's all true.  I don't dispute it.  There's an inconsistency in an
undocumented non-public feature.  But that alone does not motivate
changing anything, since it's not public and it's not a bug, merely an
inconvenience for someone trying to do something they shouldn't.
Something else needs to motivate changing it, like a patch that
implements IndexReader.reopen() that requires a subclassable
SegmentReader.  Or some committer needs to be motivated to make such an
aesthetic cleanup.  I, today, am not that committer.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message