lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SegmentReader changes?
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 23:02:34 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> Correct - changing SegmentReader would be best, but in the past, getting
> proposed patches included has been slower than expected.

I'm sorry if the process has been frustrating to you in the past.  I
hope your experiences are better in the future.

> So, by making the
> SegmentReader more easily subclassed (which should hopefully get approved
> quicker), I can still have a "build" of Lucene that does not require
> patching any files. (just including classes in the appropriate package to
> access package level vars/methods).

Aren't we discussing a change to IndexReader, adding a new method?  This
is not a contrib module, but a change to the core.  So proposing it as a
patch file that changes existing classes is the normal course.  I don't
think we ought to be in the pracice of making changes in order to
support easier access to non-public APIs.

Doug