lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SegmentReader changes?
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 22:43:57 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> In implementing the 'reopen()' method SegmentReader needs to be subclassed
> in order to support 'refreshing' the deleted documents.

Why subclass?  Why not simply change SegmentReader?  It's not a public
class at present, and making it a public class would be a bigger change
than should be required to implement reopen.

But perhaps I just don't yet understand how you intend to implement
re-open.  I think I'd implement it as something that inquired whether
the deletions have changed, and if they have, clone the SegmentReader,
re-opening all files, but only re-reading the deletions.

Doug