lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Returning a minimum number of clusters
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 17:21:37 GMT
You might be interested in the Carrot project, which has some Lucene
support.  I don't know if it solves your second problem, but it already
implements clustering and may allow you to get to an answer for the
second problem quicker.  I have, just recently, started using it for a
clustering task I am working on related to search results.  I think the
author of Carrot is on the user list from time to time

Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Greets,
>
> I'm toying with the idea of implementing clustering of search results
> based on comparison of document vectors constrained by field.  For
> instance, you could cluster based on "topic", or "domain", or
> "content".  "domain" would be easy, as it's presumably a single value
> field.  "content" would be much more involved.
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve is how to return a minimum number of
> clusters from a search.  Say the most relevant 100 documents for a
> query are all from the same domain, but you want a maximum of two
> results per domain, a la Google.  I don't see any alternative to
> rerunning the query an indeterminate number of times until you've
> accumulated sufficient clusters, because the search logic doesn't know
> what cluster a document belongs to until the document vector is
> retrieved.
>
> Is there a better way?
>
> Marvin Humphrey
> Rectangular Research