lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Vikas Khengare" <Vikas_Kheng...@symantec.com>
Subject Re: Can I do "Google Suggest" Like Search? - - - from - - -vikas
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 09:29:45 GMT
Hi Zhenjian YU

      Means Now I have 2 options

1.    WildCardQuery

2.       PrefixQuery

A] If I use WildCardQuery it will search "a" in whole word and then
return result

      e.g If I type "a" then it will return all results which contain
"a" in their spelling.

But I want when user type "a" it will show only "America" & "Asia"

And when I type "as" then it will show only "Asia".

Does WildCardQuery has that capacity to do?

Because this will send query to search engine as "a*" and "as*" ......

B] I think so PrefixQuery will do it. Because It will search for those
terms in index who has "a" or "as" as prefix.

Thanks

Hi Vikas,

Seems that you can use the WildCardQuery to do this, just put "a*" as
the query term.

But take caution to use WildCardQuery, because it can bring the
performance of your system down.

Yes, you can also implement your own filter to filter out the results
which don't starting with "a".

Either way is a solution.

Best Regards,

Zhenjian

On 5/24/06, Vikas Khengare <Vikas_Khengare@symantec.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhenjian YU

>       I have implemented that with AJAX Search But when I type "*a*"

> in textbox. It gives me all results which contains letter "a".

> So I am getting "*A*merica", "*A*sia", "Fl*a*g" & "Zhenji*a*n" also.

> But in actual I want only "America" & "Asia".

> Thanks

give

> > suggestions to user.

> > So when I type *"L"* it will give me search options names which will

> start

> > from "L". Then when I will type *"Lu"* then it should give me

> > options

> for

> > names which are starting from "Lu". & so on ......

> > 1) Does Lucene provide any API for doing so?

> > 2) Can I use Sort / Filter classes for it?

> > 3) Or do I need to handle it in java (may be any other language)?

with best regards

vikas r. khengare

Veritas Software India Private Ltd.

Symantec Corporation

Pune, India

                        [ Enjoy your life today.... because yesterday
had gone.... and tommorow may never come . ]