lucene-dev mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Explaining a filter; Scorer extending Matcher; (was: BooleanWeight.normalize(float) doesn't normalize prohibited clauses?)
Date Sun, 21 May 2006 19:06:32 GMT

"Any thoughts on whether such a Matcher would be preferable to
a DocNrSkipper that only has this method:
  int nextDocNr(int docNr)
?"

As far as I can comprehend, it makes a lot of sense to decouple Scoring from Matching (of
course their intermixing as well).  This would practically mean that complete Query execution
 mechanics could be reused instead of making "paralel world" of non scoring queries/ChainedFilters...

Please correct me if understanding is wrong:
- It would enable one Clause in BooleanQuery to be "pure boolean" (aka constant scoring)
- it would permit Filter-s to be combined without "external helpers" like ChainedFilter by
using Matcher only, by purely using existing Query

DocNrSkipper and such Matcher are semantically the same,  it couldd work just the other way
round  as well where  Matcher implements  DocNrSkipper. DocNrSkipper just skipps docs, Matcher
can do u bit more so the other option could even be ok? Anyhow, sounds like style question