lucene-dev mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Changing Lucene scoring?
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 07:25:42 GMT
Hi Otis,
"I often need just yes/no (matches/doesn't match) answers,... "
Not sure if you ment this:  "how I could implement pure boolean model, completely avoiding
scoring?".

If yes, what comes to my mind is Filtering, ChainedFilter, ConstantScore* and all these discussions
about implementing non-scoring Query mechanics. If I remeber well, Doug had some, as usual,
good proposals on this topic, Yonik and Hoss allready made some really good  things.

----- Original Message ----
From: Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, 9 May, 2006 3:34:40 AM
Subject: Changing Lucene scoring?

Hi,

Not sure if people caught my question over on java-user@ about the possibility of eliminating
floating point calculations from Lucene's scoring.  Before I embark on this, I thought I'd
ask:

- Am I crazy?  Is this at all doable?
- Is this doable without forking and maintaining my own patches?
- Other than looking through the code, is there anything that would help me learn how various
scoring pieces relate to one another?

One of the reasons I am looking at this is because I often need just yes/no (matches/doesn't
match) answers, and don't care for the score.
The other reason is that I've been told Sun's Niagara machines have a weak FPU, so we are
trying to squeeze more juice out of them by reducing the amount of floating point math in
scoring.

If there are better approaches than trying to change how Lucene scoring works, please let
me know.

Thanks,
Otis