lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastiano Vigna <vi...@dsi.unimi.it>
Subject Benchmarking on GOV2
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 08:39:43 GMT
Dear Lucene developers,
I'd be interested in doing some benchmarking on (at least) Lucene,
Egothor and MG4J. There is no actual data around on publicly available
collections, and it would be nice to have some more objective data on
efficiency for a significantly large collection.

We have GOV2 (25M documents), which is publicly available but must be
bought. We can use it to do the benchmarks, but we will certainly need
some help to configure Lucene so that it works at its best. We have some
reasonably large server that we can allocate to that purpose.

My idea would be to start compression from a text file (one document per
line), so that decompression (GOV2 is in zipped files) and parsing (most
docs are HTML) does not come into play.

We would like to measure indexing time and query answer time--people
from different engines could suggest different queries so that each
engine gets the highlight on its best features. I'd start with pure
Boolean queries in which documents must be returned in index order, so
that the results are the same. In a second phase we can try to compare
the results with ranked queries (which however is going to be more
complicated, and I do not want to duplicate TREC).

Please let me know if you're interested in the project!

Ciao,

					seba