lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: VInt's as prefix. Was: bytecount as prefix
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 15:24:34 GMT

On May 11, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Of course there is that *little* detail of backward compatability ;-)

There is that.  :)

Between using bytecounts as String prefixes, transitioning from
modified UTF-8 to standard UTF-8, and potentially changing the
definition of VInt, there are a lot of backards incompatible changes
looming for the I/O classes.

Maybe we should consider loading differing subclasses of IndexInput/
IndexOutput based on the detected file format version?  If this were
C, I'd use function pointers.  What's the best way to approximate
that in Java?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/