lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Date Boosting
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:49:42 GMT

: Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.  If you think I am, let me
: know.  I now realize that this question should be in the lucene users
: list but I started it here because I was going to write a new module for
: doing this because I couldn't get lucene to do it for me.  I'm going to
: look at the FunctionQuery now and see what it can do.

boosting Documents (or fields) at index time works great if there's only
one boost and you want it to apply to all queries (or all queries that use
that field).  but the other thing to consider is the FunctionQuery code
from Solr.  It lets you easily construct Query instances that will score
all documents based on any mathematical functionyou can express in java --
including functions that look at the indexed values of documents -- so you
can have one query score new documents higher using a log function, while
another query scored older documents higher using a linear function.

http://incubator.apache.org/solr/docs/api/org/apache/solr/search/function/package-summary.html

-Hoss