lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Integrating Lucene with Cayenne
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:11:00 GMT
Hi,

I've been thinking for some time about integrating Cayenne ORM engine
with Lucene to provide database full text search capability that is
db-agnostic and works off of the Cayenne metadata. Now with the
Summer of Code approaching [1], this seems like a good idea of a
student project.

As I have next to zero experience with Lucene, I figured I'd ask for
advice from the community. More specifically what I have in mind is
an ORM query that does a full text search across a predefined
combination of object properties, first looking in the Lucene index
for matching object ids, and then fetching those objects with Cayenne.

Basically I am trying to understand whether such idea has merit (i.e.
am I reinventing the wheel? Or is this something too trivial to even
bother with integration?)

Thanks
Andrus

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006