lucene-dev mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>
Subject Re: Benchmarkers
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:26:03 GMT

3 apr 2006 kl. 16.50 skrev Grant Ingersoll:

>> And if possible, it would be very interesting to see results using
>> -d64 and -d32. And different platforms. So far I've got best
>> results in decending order on Solaris, OS X and last(!) Linux.
>> Solaris is straight out amazing under heavy load. Might even do
>> the switch next time I buy a new workstation.
>>
> What are the configurations of you machines?

You ask about the hardware? It's been multiple and I have not
benchmarked anything.

I've been running the following hardware in an environemt with 130000
documents and an average of 3000 queries per minute 24/7, peeking at
10000.

Solaris: HP DL145, 1 x Dualcore Opteron 2.2 GHz, 4 GB of RAM
Linux: HP DL140 with 2x 3.06GHz Xeon CPUs and 4GB of RAM

The Solaris so totally outperforms the Linux, especially at high
load. The memory management is magic.

I can not prove anything, but it feels as I get more bang for the CPU
on PPC Apple JVM than on X86 SUN Linux JVM.