lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Benchmarkers
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 01:26:23 GMT

On Apr 3, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> Plucene is a Lucene 1.3 port, so it doesn't have max_buffered_docs
>> --  but I can set merge_factor to 1000.
>
> I would not recommend that.  With a merge factor that high you may
> run out of file handles, and, moreover, I doubt that disks are very
> efficient when reading from that many streams.

Running out of filehandles is a solvable problem because you can set
ulimit -n to whatever on OS X -- and you pretty much have to, since
the default is 256.

The streams issue is more complicated.  N-way merges from disk tend
to be IO-bound.  The best I can do is try a couple numbers and see
what works.  IIRC, the number 100 has gone by on the Plucene mailing
list as a good value.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/