lucene-dev mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.net>
Subject Re: boosting fields
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:15:55 GMT

25 apr 2006 kl. 19.34 skrev Doug Cutting:

> karl wettin wrote:
>> This could lead me to believe I can use different boost for
>> fields  with the same name within one document.
>
> You can.  The values are multiplied to produce the final boost
> value for the field.  This is described in:
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/document/
> Field.html#setBoost(float)

It's not really the same thing as I tried to describe though. In the
end it is the same boost for all field values. I would personally
prefer to set that manually per unique field name. I have a hard time
to figure out why I want to add multiple boosts and then normalise
them. Is there some feature I missed?

>> How about refactoring fields to something like:
>> [Document](fieldName)<#>---- {0..1} ->[Field +boost]<#>---- {0..*}

>> -> [FieldValue +store +index +termVector]
>
> That would be a big, incompatible change to one of Lucene's primary
> APIs, no?

Not if I got it right in my head. Then it's really just a matter of
handling deprication. The field-methods in Document could be the same.

> Long-term, an API which supports per token boosting will probably
> prove useful, as a part of #11 on http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-
> lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard.  When this happens it would probably be
> worth considering making the change you suggest, but I'm not sure
> it would be worth it before that.

I've wanted that feature a few times. Let me know if there is
something I can do to help when the time is right.