lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: boosting fields
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:41:44 GMT
karl wettin wrote:
> My own immediate thought is to compromise by allowing boost per term  in
> document. Simply remove the norms-methods from the IndexReader and  add
> a new one to the TermEnum and fall back on the field boost. How  would
> the value be picked up by the scorer?
> Boost per position, et.c. sounds very expensive.

Indeed.  It will probably nearly double the size of indexes and also
increase search time.  But it is also very powerful.  Consider the
posting representation Google describes on page 9 of  The font-size stored there is in
effect a weight for each position.

The point is not that every index store this, but that it be possible
for some indexes to store this, or even more information per position,
by extending a public API.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message