lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: boosting fields
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:34:57 GMT
karl wettin wrote:
> This could lead me to believe I can use different boost for fields  with
> the same name within one document.

You can.  The values are multiplied to produce the final boost value for
the field.  This is described in:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/document/Field.html#setBoost(float)

But you're right, that's not entirely intuitive.

> How about refactoring fields to something like:
>
> [Document](fieldName)<#>---- {0..1} ->[Field +boost]<#>---- {0..*} ->

> [FieldValue +store +index +termVector]

That would be a big, incompatible change to one of Lucene's primary
APIs, no?  Long-term, an API which supports per token boosting will
probably prove useful, as a part of #11 on
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard.  When this
happens it would probably be worth considering making the change you
suggest, but I'm not sure it would be worth it before that.

Doug