lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: boosting fields
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:34:57 GMT
karl wettin wrote:
> This could lead me to believe I can use different boost for fields  with
> the same name within one document.

You can.  The values are multiplied to produce the final boost value for
the field.  This is described in:

But you're right, that's not entirely intuitive.

> How about refactoring fields to something like:
> [Document](fieldName)<#>---- {0..1} ->[Field +boost]<#>---- {0..*} ->

> [FieldValue +store +index +termVector]

That would be a big, incompatible change to one of Lucene's primary
APIs, no?  Long-term, an API which supports per token boosting will
probably prove useful, as a part of #11 on  When this
happens it would probably be worth considering making the change you
suggest, but I'm not sure it would be worth it before that.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message