lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Lucene for searching tokens, not storing them.
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:18:12 GMT
karl wettin wrote:
> I'm not sure if you people are as amazed as me by this, so I'll just
> keep posting reports until someone tells me not to. :-)

Keep it up!

> After adding a couple of binary searches in well needed places (and a
> couple of new bugs that in a few cases affects the results) I'm now
> down at 1/8th of the time compared to RAMDirectory. That is really  fast
> if you ask me.

I'm not surprised that it is faster, but 8x is more than I would have
guessed.  That's great!

Will you be able to contribute this to Apache?

> The 5MB FSDirectory representation occupies about 70MB memory, but
> there are still a few things I can do about that.

Sounds like a classic time/space tradeoff: nearly linear in this case.

This is similar to MemoryIndex (in contrib) except it can index more
than one document.

Doug