lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Benchmarking results
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:05:19 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> However, having  established that KinoSearch
> is in Lucene's league with regards to  indexing speed, I'm not worried
> about absolute numbers, and the new  benchmarker interface is slightly
> more stable, allowing more accurate  comparative analysis of algorithmic
> efficiency.  The trends are still  apparent: KinoSearch gains ground
> when there's stored and vectorized  content.

Another axis that I don't think you're yet measuring is how things
change as the index grows.  What happens with 10k, 100k and 1M and 10M
documents?  There are typically knees in search engine performance
curves when indexes get substantially larger than RAM, and behaviour on
either side of the knee may differ with different indexing strategies.

Doug