lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Benchmarkers
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:26:04 GMT

On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:08 AM, karl wettin wrote:

> And if possible, it would be very interesting to see results using -
> d64 and -d32. And different platforms.

I only have easy access to one machine running Java: my G4 1.67 MHz
laptop, running Mac OS X 10.4.5.  I agree that it would be very
interesting to see results from other systems.  If anyone else wants
to run these, you can grab the source from my subversion repository:

     svn co http://www.rectangular.com/svn/kinosearch/trunk/t/
benchmarks benchmarks

You'll need the Reuters corpus (location specified in benchmarks/
README.txt).  You'll also need Perl to run the script which
preprocesses the Reuters corpus.

If you're interested in running the benchmarks for KinoSearch, I
recommend using the CPAN shell to install it, as it has a few
dependencies and it's easier to let CPAN handle them.  You'll need a
C compiler, as KinoSearch is not pure Perl.  The latest official
release, 0.08, is available with the usual...

     cpan> install KinoSearch

... which will find the tarball <CREAMYG/KinoSearch-0.08.tar.gz>.
However, for my tests, I'm using a developer's release, 0.09_03,
which is at least twice as fast as 0.08.  0.9 is also the first
version of KinoSearch with incremental indexing enabled.  To get
0.09_03 from CPAN, type...

     cpan> install CREAMYG/KinoSearch-0.09_03.tar.gz

... at the CPAN shell prompt.

If 0.09_03 hasn't made it your CPAN mirror yet, you can also get it
from <http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch>.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/