lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: version issue ?
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 20:08:29 GMT

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Doug Cutting wrote:

> It does correspond to a precise SVN version, but what we prefer is a tag.
> The tag for 1.9-final is:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/lucene_1_9_final/
>
> Tags should never be revised.  If you're paranoid, then you could also note
> the revision of this tag, which is 381437.

Great, I didn't know there was a tag for that release. Even better !

>> and that that version's common-build.xml should reflect the release number,
>> ie 1.9 or 1.9-final in its "version" property.
>
> Here's where things are murky.  I don't like it if what folks build
> themselves is easily confused with a released build.  So the version in the
> common-build.xml should not be "1.9" or "1.9-final" but something else.  But
> what?  1.9-dev?  1.9.1-dev?  1.9.1-rc1-dev?  Classically we've used the -dev
> suffix to distinguish non-release builds.  Can you suggest something bette

Agreed.

> There's no need to patch: you can simply run 'ant -Dversion=XXX'.

It didn't occur to me that it was that simple to override. My bad.

In that case, setting common-build.xml's version to "1.9-dev" at release time
would be just fine but it's become a really minor issue now since I can just
svn export from the tag and override the version with ant -Dversion=XXX.
Once the trunk changes again, setting it to a flavor of "2.0-something"
as has been done before continues to make sense as well.

Thanks !

Andi..