lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Lazy Field Loading
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:48:49 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 3/31/06, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> I prefer option #4 myself.   Also note that a similar issue with
>> patches exists within JIRA:
>>
>>         <https://issues.apache.org:443/jira/browse/LUCENE-509>
>>

> Yes, I'd personally find a way to retrieve just fields x,y, and z more
> useful than lazy loading.
> It  seems like lazy loading could be useful if you do something with
> field values that is conditional on the value of other fields... a
> case I haven't run into.

Use cases in Nutch would also indicate that #4 is the most convenient
option, and rule out options #1 and #3 (and perhaps #2 due to
efficiency). Various fields from Lucene indexes are used for e.g.
sorting, where sorting field is selected by users during run time. Some
field values help with Hits presentation, while other values should only
be retrieved when requesting all hit's "metadata" - again, using the
same index. So, option #4 would be really useful.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><