lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Fisheye <des...@gmx.ch>
Subject Developper Question - Highlighting
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:58:45 GMT

Hello to every body

I have integrated Lucene into a knowledge software, the main goal of lucene
will be to index and search files given by this knowledge software.

My problem now is, I need to get back from lucene text "snippets" where the
search query has been found and it should be highlighted.

For this reason I tried to accesss the field "contents", where the whole
text is located and where I let lucene search the query.

In this forum I saw some posts about that, it seems to be a problem to
access these fields (contents) because lucene does not store the text
contents in index. Another solution was, to directly extract the text from
the original file and then parse this text by using highlighter class.

Ok, I know it may be one way, but if I have a lot of binary files liek Word,
Excel, PowerPoint etc., this will become very slow and cost too much
resources.

So, does someone know a better idea to solve this problem? No way to make
these fields "contents" storing the text from the file?

Thx for answers and help

Simon Dietschi