lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ahmed El-dawy" <aseld...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Extending Doucment and Hits
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:13:45 GMT
Thanks for your reply.
I need to make a JDBCDocument. This document gets some of its fields
from Lucene Index. It contains a reference to a database where other
fields (larger ones) are stored. Later fields are only read upon
request (like lazy intialization). This is useful to me because  when
a search is performed I need to view a snippet of the results. When
one is clicked I need to view the whole document. I needed to store
the snippet in Lucene Index and other fields in database.
JDBCDocument is constructed using an ordinary Document and a DB connection.
JDBCHits is used to return JDBCDocuments instead of normal documents.
I need to do this without changing the code of the interface which
shows the snippets and formats the whole document when it is
requested.

Ahmed Saad
On 2/18/06, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> Ahmed - could you outline your use case in detail and why you think
> your design demands extensions of these classes?
>
>         Erik
>

> On Feb 18, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Ahmed El-dawy wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >  I needed in my application to override the classes Document and Hits
> > to make JDBCDocument and JDBCHits. I was surprised that Document and
> > Hits are final classes and all methods in them are final. Why this? I
> > couldn't make my program well because of this problem. Is there a way
> > to overcome it?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > --
> > regards,