lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:44:04 GMT

: of query).  Under the previous versions of QueryParser, I could simply
: specify 'riot???' and capture all of those variants.

I don't have a strong opinion on this issue, but it seems clear to me that
this was a bug in 1.4.3 not a change in the orriginally intended behavior.
queryparsersyntax.html clearly states...

  To perform a single character wildcard search use the "?" symbol.
  To perform a multiple character wildcard search use the "*" symbol.

...which implies to me that if you were relying on "riot???" to match
"riots" you weren't using the code as documented, and were just getting
lucky that what you were doing worked.  Applying LUCENE-306 definitely
seems like the right thing to do to fix a bug in the documented behavior
-- espeically since the behavior as documented closely matches what people
use to file globbibg would probably consider the "expected" behavior.

adding syntax support for an "n to m" character match (ala "riot?{0,3}")
would probably be a worthwhile new feature - but it seems like exactly
that: a new feature, not an issue with the the patch as applied.

-Hoss