lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: 1.9 RC1
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:15 GMT

: This is a great time to improve the javadoc.  I see lots of blank boxes
: which could use a bit of descriptive text, for example:

That reminds me about a documentation/release issue that's been rolling
arround in the back of my mind that seems like it's only going to get
worse as future releases are made...

I think moving forward the query parser and fileformat docs should be
moved into docfile directories within the java source, so they are
reved/tagged with the individual releases.  That way when people have
questions about the file format of their index built with 1.9 they don't
have to worry about changes that the version on the website documents the
fileformat in 2.4 which is different.  Likwise for questions about what
syntax is valid in the version of QueryParser they are using.

The only problem is that since 1.4.3 and previous versions didn't include
these docs, the URL is the only resource they have. so i would suggest..

 1) Migrate the current versions of fileformats.html and
    queryparsersyntax.html into src/java/**/docfiles somwhere.
 2) Revert the version of fileformats.html and
    queryparsersyntax.html on the website to their state when 1.4.3 was
    released.
 3) Add a disclaimer at the top of those files indicating that they are
    for 1.4.3 and earlier, and are online for legacy purposes only.
    Developers using newer versions of lucene should consult the
    documentation included in the release they are using.

-Hoss