lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hosc...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Optimizing/minimizing memory usage of memory-based indexes
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 06:33:51 GMT

> Initially it might, but probably eventually not. I was
> thinking Lucene formats might also be bit more compact
> than vanilla hash maps, but I guess that depends on
> many factors. But I will probably want to play with
> actual queries later on, based on frequencies.

OK.

>> In the latter case, are you using
>> org.apache.lucene.store.RAMDirectory or
>> org.apache.lucene.index.memory.MemoryIndex?
>
> I'm using RAMDirectory. Should I be using MemoryIndex
> maybe instead (I'll check it out)?

The main constraint is that a MemoryIndex instance can only hold
*one* lucene document (though it can have any number of fields).
MemoryIndex is designed to be a transient throw away data structure,
for streaming / publish-subscribe usecases. If it's applicable,
MemoryIndex has better performance but worse memory consumption than
RAMDirectory. I can't tell whether that may or may not be an issue
for your case.

Wolfgang.