lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:35:05 GMT
On Feb 26, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Sonntag 26 Februar 2006 02:42, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
>> dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
>> dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should
>> not go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.
>
> I think they should be included to make life easier for our users,
> unless
> it makes Lucene too big (which is not the case for now as the files
> are
> quite small).

For some it will be a benefit to having these additional dependencies
immediately handy, but others may already be using different versions
of those libraries and will need to carefully manage which versions
they use.

I'm not in a position to devote any time to the changes needed to the
contrib build area to have it be smart about this sort of thing
though.  There may be 3rd party libraries that cannot be distributed,
so the build system cannot bulk copy everything in each lib/
directory, I don't think.

	Erik