lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: wildcard search with variable length
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:49:01 GMT
On Feb 22, 2006, at 7:22 AM, John Haxby wrote:
> Tiago Silveira wrote:
>
>> IMHO, using "cat cat?" or even "cat cat? cat??" is so simple that
>> it doesn't
>> justify keeping the old, undocumented, arguably incorrect behavior.
>>
> I don't think there's any question of the old behaviour being
> incorrect -- the javadoc says that ? matches a single character,
> not zero or one characters, a single character.
>
> On the other hand, does Erik's new RegexQuery support "cat.?" (the
> ".?" does match zero or one characters)?    (Where's the javadoc
> for that?   I don't see any comments in the source, let alone
> anything else :-))

You dinged me fairly!   Ok, tonight's TODO list, add javadocs to
RegexQuery!   The RegexQuery supports _whatever_ syntax the regular
expression implementation you chose supports.  It simply enumerates
terms and does the match using the expression you provided using the
desired implementation (JDK 1.4 regex, or ORO, etc).

	Erik