lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:51:08 GMT

Erik Hatcher wrote:

>>> So far as I know!
>>
>> I found another module that requires external libraries: regex. These
>> are
>> even defined in the additional.dependencies property in the
>> build.xml, but
>> it seems it's not used (at least not for copying the libs to the
>> distribution).
>
> I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
> dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
> dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should not
> go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.  In the same manner that Ant
> doesn't ship with junit.jar or any other 3rd party dependencies, it
> still was compiled with them.
>
> I'm happy to go with the flow of the consensus though, and if folks
> want the other JARs to go along then that's fine also.  There should
> definitely be some docs that explain these 3rd party dependencies, and
> I'll add that to the regex docs that I'm going to work on tomorrow.
My opinion as a user of the lucene:

If I understand correctly, there are no dependencies for lucene itself,
but only for contrib? If so, please don't package jars. If not, document
them and let us get them if we use the classes that require them.

On Linux I use jpackage for installs, I expect that the dependencies to
be broken out as separate installs.
As far as Windows goes, I don't have any problem getting jars as I need
them.