lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:47:55 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> 1.9 will be the last 1.x release. It is both back-compatible with
> 1.4.3 and forward-compatible with the upcoming 2.0 release. Many
> methods and classes in 1.4.3 have been deprecated in 1.9 and will be
> removed in 2.0.  Applications must compile against 1.9 without
> deprecation warnings before they are compatible with 2.0.

I am wondering what the motivation is for being forward compatible to
2.0.  Is the only change from 1.9 to 2.0 going to be the removal of
deprecated items?  Are we going to be preventing ourselves from making
broader structural changes?  My understanding of a major release is that
it allows you to make large scale changes, if needed, that may break
existing dependencies.  For instance, I am working on a lazy field
loader patch (so that large fields aren't loaded just b/c the document
is loaded) and also am looking into the possibility of updating single
fields on a document.  The first change takes the Field class and makes
it an interface which has two implementations, one that is lazy and the
current one.  Granted, I haven't submitted the patch yet, but if this is
something that people are interested in, then it would make 2.0 not be
compatible with 1.9.

 From http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Lucene2Whiteboard, item #11
is almost certainly going to break things, as well, if someone takes it on.

Is this kind of thing ruled out by the forward-compatibility issue or
should I just submit my patch when it is ready and let the chips fall
where they may?

-Grant