lucene-dev mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: wildcard search with variable length
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:45:55 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Tiago Silveira wrote:
>
>> IMHO, using "cat cat?" or even "cat cat? cat??" is so simple that it
>> doesn't
>> justify keeping the old, undocumented, arguably incorrect behavior.
>
> I have a different view on this issue - IMHO treating "?" as "exactly
> one character" is counterintuitive for people familiar with the use of
> wildcards: in all popular regular expression languages, and also in
> DTD/XML world, a single "?" metacharacter means "zero or one", which
> is probably why the original behavior was introduced (or at least it
> was more compatible with the use of "?" in other contexts).

Ahh.   Well.   If "cat?" is a regular expression then it will match "ca"
and "cat".   "cat??" is probably not a valid regular expression: the
final ? means "one or zero occurances of t?" which means that it too
matches "ca" and "cat".   However, the javadoc defines "?" and its
definition matches the shell glob definition and it's quite clear that
WildcardQuery is not a RegexQuery just from the docs.

I can't comment about the wildcard character a DTD/XML context, I'm not
that familiar with it.

jch