lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: wildcard search with variable length
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:31:27 GMT
Tiago Silveira wrote:
> IMHO, using "cat cat?" or even "cat cat? cat??" is so simple that it doesn't
> justify keeping the old, undocumented, arguably incorrect behavior.

I have a different view on this issue - IMHO treating "?" as "exactly
one character" is counterintuitive for people familiar with the use of
wildcards: in all popular regular expression languages, and also in
DTD/XML world, a single "?" metacharacter means "zero or one", which is
probably why the original behavior was introduced (or at least it was
more compatible with the use of "?" in other contexts).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><