lucene-dev mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: wildcard search with variable length
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:22:28 GMT
Tiago Silveira wrote:

>IMHO, using "cat cat?" or even "cat cat? cat??" is so simple that it doesn't
>justify keeping the old, undocumented, arguably incorrect behavior.

I don't think there's any question of the old behaviour being incorrect
-- the javadoc says that ? matches a single character, not zero or one
characters, a single character.

On the other hand, does Erik's new RegexQuery support "cat.?" (the ".?"
does match zero or one characters)?    (Where's the javadoc for that?
I don't see any comments in the source, let alone anything else :-))

jch