lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Steichen <>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:13:00 GMT

No, I don't think that the riot* option would work for many queries.
Let's take a simple case where you want a singular or plural form, like
either cat or cats (which would be very common).  With 1.4.x, you can
use cat? to retrieve such matches.  With the new change, you need to use
(cat cats) or (cat cat?).  If you use cat*, you'll get a million matches
you don't want (cater, catches, catwoman, category, catatonic,
cataclysm, catamount, etc.).  Or, take a case where you want to retrieve
terms like elder, elderly, elders but do not want things like
elderberry, elderdice.  Or you want gun or guns, but not gunmen,
gunshots, gunfire, gunpoint, gunston, etc.

In contrast, as you appear to agree, it would actually be a fairly rare
case where you really need a specific number of characters in the term.

So, I would opt to either leave the behavior as it was in 1.4.x or
provide a flag (defaulting either way).

Yonik Seeley wrote:

>On 2/21/06, Terry Steichen <> wrote:
>>For example, let's say that I'm interested in docs with terms 'riot',
>>'riots', 'rioting' and 'rioters' (which, I think, is a reasonable kind
>>of query).  Under the previous versions of QueryParser, I could simply
>>specify 'riot???' and capture all of those variants.
>Wouldn't the prefix query riot* fit the bill?
>I would think that wanting 1,2, or 3 additional characters, but no
>more would be a fairly rare case, yes?  And there might also be a rare
>case where you want exactly 3 additional characters... the new change
>makes both possible.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: