lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:24:00 GMT
In reviewing the latest changes incorporated into release 1.9 RC1, I
noticed a change responding to JIRA item LUCENE-306.  According to the
writeup, the new change forces the wildcard pattern 'cat??' to exactly
match the length of the term (in this case, a five-letter term starting
with 'cat').

If my understanding of this change is correct, I'm concerned that this
will actually make some fairly common query expressions more difficult
to construct.

For example, let's say that I'm interested in docs with terms 'riot',
'riots', 'rioting' and 'rioters' (which, I think, is a reasonable kind
of query).  Under the previous versions of QueryParser, I could simply
specify 'riot???' and capture all of those variants.

With the new change (if I understand it correctly), I would have to
either spell out all the individual terms, or specify something like
'(riot riot? riot???)'.  I can see that there might be some cases where
you might want to get only term matches of a specific length; however,
IMHO, those needs would be far less common than the kind of needs I've
tried to illustrate with 'riot???'.

I have a personal interest in that this new change will force me to
change and retest a large number of pre-defined, fairly complex
queries.  If it is deemed important to have the new capability, could we
perhaps incorporate a flag that could be set to override the change and
QueryParser using the previous logic on this?