lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.9 RC1 release available
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:42:28 GMT

On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Freitag 24 Februar 2006 00:50, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>>> Are these all modules that don't need external libs?
>>
>> So far as I know!
>
> I found another module that requires external libraries: regex.
> These are
> even defined in the additional.dependencies property in the
> build.xml, but
> it seems it's not used (at least not for copying the libs to the
> distribution).

I personally don't think we should be distributing any external
dependencies.  Whoever builds the releases needs to have the
dependencies locally, but 3rd party JARs, even Apache ones, should
not go along for the .tar/zip ride IMO.  In the same manner that Ant
doesn't ship with junit.jar or any other 3rd party dependencies, it
still was compiled with them.

I'm happy to go with the flow of the consensus though, and if folks
want the other JARs to go along then that's fine also.  There should
definitely be some docs that explain these 3rd party dependencies,
and I'll add that to the regex docs that I'm going to work on tomorrow.

	Erik