lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: TermVector usage
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:47:13 GMT
Hi Marvin,

As far as I can tell, most people use TermVectors for "more like this" queries (see MoreLikeThis
class in contrib/ somewhere)

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Mon 20 Feb 2006 10:28:56 PM EST
Subject: TermVector usage

Greets,

KinoSearch 0.05, which for now I'm calling a "loose port" of Lucene,
was published to CPAN a few weeks ago.  It's nice and fast, but
missing some features, most notably multiple segment support and
incremental indexing.  Before I get to that though, I'm adding
excerpting and highlighting.

The version of KinoSearch which preceded the Lucene-based rewrite
also had a highlighter which depended on what were effectively
TermVectors with stored offsets. However, unlike Lucene, these were
stored along with the stored fields.  As I've been preparing to port
all the support apparatus for TermVectors, I've been wondering
whether I shouldn't go back to that.  It sure would be less work to
code up.  Theoretically there ought to be less disk activity, too.

 From following the Lucene lists off and on, I've gotten the
impression that lots of people use TermVectors to feed the
highlighter, but I haven't seen many applications for them besides
that.  LSI-type ideas percolate every once in a while.  Besides
highlighting, how many people are using TermVectors and how are they
using them?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/