lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: DbDirectory with Berkeley DB Java Edition
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:18:35 GMT

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, jian chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pretty pessimistic about any DB directory implementation for Lucene.
> The nature of the Lucene index files does not really fit well into a
> relational database. Therefore, performance wise, the DB implementations
> would suffer a lot. Basically, I would discourage anyone on the DB
> implementation.
>
> 2 cents,
>
> Jian

Berkeley DB is *not* a relational database. A relational database may be built
from it (see MySQL) but, by itself, it is not a relational database. It is a
simple way to persist key/values pairs organized in a Btree, Hashtable,
numbered record list, or queue.

     http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/intro/dbisnot.html

The Berkeley Java API C edition-based Lucene Index implementation is using 2
Btrees to store file-like structures. One Btree is a directory of files, the
other Btree is a directory of data blocks.

The advantage of using Berkeley DB over the file system for Lucene index data
is that, in a situation where index updates are frequent and concurrent,
Berkeley DB offers transactional protection - all the changes either go in,
atomiically, or not - and better concurrency by providing finer locking.

Andi..