lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: JE Directory/XA Transactions
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:42:59 GMT
I think JE transactions are held completely in memory, so this may be an
issue - although I have not reviewed your implementation yet... :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Andi Vajda [mailto:vajda@osafoundation.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 5:14 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: JE Directory/XA Transactions

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Donovan Aaron wrote:

> I recently ported Andi Vajda's DbDirectory to the Java Edition of
> Berkeley DB.  The main reason being the JCA connector and XA
> transactions.  Initial results are great and shown below.  I'm new to
> contributing.  What is the procedure for making this code available?

If you attach the Apache 2.0 license, I'd be glad to add your files
alongside
the C DB based implementation, since I'm currently the maintainer of the
'db'
Java Lucene contrib area.

Your timings look great but did you run DbDirectory in DB_AUTO_COMMIT mode
or
did you bracket the operations with your own transaction ? (it should make a
big difference to use a transaction for the whole indexing operation,
including IndexWriter.optimize(), instead of running in DB_AUTO_COMMIT mode,
where each write call gets its own transaction).

Andi..