lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: "Advanced" query language
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:31:50 GMT

On Dec 5, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> While there have been several different topics brought up on this
> thread, it seems we're diverging from the original idea.  Let's
> consider the most basic use case example here, and I'm making it
> intentionally as concrete as possible:
>
> A Swing client performs searches by communicating with a Lucene
> search server, which is wrapped by a RESTful servlet.  The client
> wants to issue sophisticated queries that are not supported by
> QueryParser.

Let me add another use-case to this, which is just about the same but
not made up.  I have a Ruby on Rails front-end and an XML-RPC Lucene
search server.  A query consists of a set of constraints, which
translates into BitSet operations for faceted browsing, which can
also include full-text queries.  Currently QueryParser is sufficient
for the full-text queries, but probably not for long.

Having a standard way to express a query, in a non-Java way, would
work well in my case.

	Erik